1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Dolby vision for Android

Any issues that are Android specific
JGrana01

Re: Dolby vision for Android

Post by JGrana01 »

NVidia just dropped another Hotfix, the second one - 32.7.301.43.

MrMC still crashes the Shield on the second playback of a DV video.
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

JGrana01 wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 11:59 NVidia just dropped another Hotfix, the second one - 32.7.301.43.

MrMC still crashes the Shield on the second playback of a DV video.
any feedback from them on the post you made in DMs? I see no replies to your forum post.
JGrana01

Post by JGrana01 »

Unfortunately no responses.

I have sent a PM to Manuel Guzman (NVidia engineer) on AVSForum and posted the same. detail on NVidias TV Shield board.

I did notice that a new user on this forum named “nvtester101” was asking how to get apk/app.

I’m ever the optimist...
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

JGrana01 wrote: 21 Nov 2019, 10:54 Unfortunately no responses.

I have sent a PM to Manuel Guzman (NVidia engineer) on AVSForum and posted the same. detail on NVidias TV Shield board.

I did notice that a new user on this forum named “nvtester101” was asking how to get apk/app.

I’m ever the optimist...
if there is an nvidia rep here then I'm sure the devs would work with them to get them the beta play store version for free.
Angryunibrow

Post by Angryunibrow »

Any update to getting DV working on the shield in MrMC?
JGrana01

Post by JGrana01 »

At this point, it is still causing the Shield to crash and restart. I have installed the latest "hotfix" #3 that address a Sony Android TV colerspace switching problem with DV.
It now correctly switches between BT709 and BT2020 when going into SDR, HDR10 and DV. Good fix,

But, MrMC still causes the Shield to crash and burn...

Nvidia has all the crash logs etc. From what I can tell, ball is in their camp (unfortunately...)
JGrana01

Post by JGrana01 »

@koying, I had some time to do some further testing.

It does point to an NVidia issue. I recently installed Emby on the Shield. I have an rpi3 acting as an Emby server.
With the latest Emby Android client I was able to play numerous DV files fine.
Hmm, I thought that was curious. Anyway, I noticed the default for Emby Adjust display refresh rate was Off. So, I set it as I normally do to On start / stop.
Back to playing a DV file. Crash - exactly like MrMC.
Fired up MrMC and noticed I had set the Adjust display to On start / stop. Set it to Off.
MrMC played a number of DV files fine - refresh rate was always 60 hz but color space switched from BT709 to BT2020 correctly every time I played a DV file. TV also reported DV mode.
As a last test, I changed the default video settings of the Shield to 23.9 Hz refresh rate.
Again, DV files played fine and were at 23.9 refresh rate.

As a side note - NVidia has added a beta Match frame rate to the Shield. It is not automatic - you need to enable it everytime a video starts. So, decided to see what happens when I attempt to match frame rate with MrMC.
For SDR and HDR10 files, it correctly changes (if warranted) the frame rate
When playing a DV file - it essentially seems to do nothing. No short screen blank and video continues at 60 hz.

Summary - MrMC will play DV files fine as long as Adjust frame rate is off. Also NVidia's Match frame rate will not do anything when playing DV files.
Angryunibrow

Post by Angryunibrow »

JGrana01 wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 18:33 @koying, I had some time to do some further testing.

It does point to an NVidia issue. I recently installed Emby on the Shield. I have an rpi3 acting as an Emby server.
With the latest Emby Android client I was able to play numerous DV files fine.
Hmm, I thought that was curious. Anyway, I noticed the default for Emby Adjust display refresh rate was Off. So, I set it as I normally do to On start / stop.
Back to playing a DV file. Crash - exactly like MrMC.
Fired up MrMC and noticed I had set the Adjust display to On start / stop. Set it to Off.
MrMC played a number of DV files fine - refresh rate was always 60 hz but color space switched from BT709 to BT2020 correctly every time I played a DV file. TV also reported DV mode.
As a last test, I changed the default video settings of the Shield to 23.9 Hz refresh rate.
Again, DV files played fine and were at 23.9 refresh rate.

As a side note - NVidia has added a beta Match frame rate to the Shield. It is not automatic - you need to enable it everytime a video starts. So, decided to see what happens when I attempt to match frame rate with MrMC.
For SDR and HDR10 files, it correctly changes (if warranted) the frame rate
When playing a DV file - it essentially seems to do nothing. No short screen blank and video continues at 60 hz.

Summary - MrMC will play DV files fine as long as Adjust frame rate is off. Also NVidia's Match frame rate will not do anything when playing DV files.
Take a look at this thread over in the Plex beta Forums regarding this on Plex as well.
https://forums.plex.tv/t/dolby-vision-r ... ing/488390

For Dolby Vision we have no choice but to disable refresh rate and resolution switching and rely on the mode you have set. Sadly the Android API’s don’t offer away for us to tell which mode supports Dolby Vision and which doesn’t.
koying
Team MrMC

Post by koying »

JGrana01 wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 18:33 Summary - MrMC will play DV files fine as long as Adjust frame rate is off. Also NVidia's Match frame rate will not do anything when playing DV files.
Thanks for your analysis !
Obviously, I could "quirk" this and not do refresh rate with DV on Shield, but not sure if that's a desirable course of action...
JGrana01

Post by JGrana01 »

From what I have read in the Plex forum, that is what they are doing for now. They as well have contacted NVIDIA.
Your call. For now I am just not enabling switching, Fortunately my TV does pretty good at adapting