tvOS Background App Refresh

there is zero(0) promises that any of the requests will be fulfilled or even looked at
Climiu

tvOS Background App Refresh

Post by Climiu »

Would you consider implementing Background App Refresh on tvOS? I see it being quite useful in my day to day use. Typically I like to add media to my NAS during the day for viewing in the evening. With background app refresh, it would allow new content to update even when MrMC isn't in use. So I could turn on my AppleTV and see the new media in the top shelf, select it from there and voila! Much less navigation around and would have the look and feel of being a native Apple app.

Currently you have to start MrMC then return to the AppleTV homescreen for topshelf to update which greatly limits it's usefulness. Background App Refresh could also allow for quicker media poster updates for newly added media when starting MrMC.
Climiu

Re: tvOS Background App Refresh

Post by Climiu »

Looks like there may be some additions in recent TestFlights possibly related to this but can't tell for sure. If so, thanks for looking into it! :) My TopShelf still isn't updating though without first opening MrMC so maybe the notes are referencing something else.

The Background App Refresh I was referring to is the one built into tvOS as shown here. It's not a perfect solution as updates aren't immediate but it's a start. If you are working on an even better solution with more frequent updates to content in TopShelf then that's great too.

amet
Team MrMC

Post by amet »

nothing is being tested in TestFlight, I am looking into it but it doesn't look trivial as we are setup to run with UI up and all services initialized.. once we go into background all those services are shutdown ... WIP, but no promises and no ETA
Antibus

Post by Antibus »

Would it be possible to add the capability to TopShelf to check for updates directly instead of relying on the MrMC application?
amet
Team MrMC

Post by amet »

Not possible, topshelf is an “addon” to MrMC and only functions when MrMC Is live.

I have made some progress, we can update topshelf but call time is determined by Apple TV OS (tvOS) and we have no control over it... any time between now and 6 hours :)