1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Help Using MrMC as an external video player.

Report any issues you might have in here
KeyserSoze

Help Using MrMC as an external video player.

Post by KeyserSoze » 16 Mar 2017, 13:33

This is probably a general Kodi question but I thought I would try to ask here first since I'm using MrMC for this.

Background
I want to use MrMC as an external video player to another application on a Fire TV. This works fine except there is no easy way to go back to the launching application once I'm done watching the video. I have to either Shutdown MrMC which means it has to go through the startup on the next video or hit the Home button to take me back to the Amazon home screen. It seems like there should be a way to use the back button on the MrMC home screen to "go back to the previous app without shutting down". Other apps seem to work this way. And before I get asked this is for a LiveTV application that MrMC does not currently support so I can't currently integrate it into MrMC.

What I've Tried So Far
Create a new keymap that sets browser_back for Home and default to be empty. I thought this might remove whatever the default keymap is doing. But apparently not. Is there a way to use the back button from the Home screen to "exit" but not "shutdown" the app? An Alt+Tab event that would let me select the previous app when even be preferable to the current situation.

I'm just looking for any help to see if this is a lost cause or not.

Thanks.

davilla
Team MrMC

Re: Help Using MrMC as an external video player.

Post by davilla » 16 Mar 2017, 14:16

We can look into 'back' on home backing out. Have to think about why we set it up this way.

What intent form are you using to launch MrMC and play the video ?

KeyserSoze

Post by KeyserSoze » 16 Mar 2017, 14:45

So oddly enough I'm using Emby FireTV app which allows you to send the LiveTV stream to an external application instead of the built in player. The built in player doesn't deinterlace LiveTV on the Fire so this can look pretty ugly. They also support libVLC player but it won't bitstream ac3 and has some issues displaying a weird flickering bar on some channels (closed captioning data maybe?). So as a third option it allows you to use an external application. This prompts you to select an application to launch after you select the channel you want to view. You can select "Just Once" or "Always" like on Android. Always won't prompt you again. I believe this then opens MrMC with the http stream. When I want to switch channels however is when the problems start to happen. There is no easy way to get back to the Emby app without shutting down. Which works but then when I select the next channel it has to startup MrMC again.

I know you are working on an Emby plugin for MrMC. I'm not sure if you are planning on LiveTV support or not. I'm guessing that would take a fair amount of work. I thought this would be a good solution for me or at least a stop gap until the Emby plugin is complete. The other option for me is to look at integrating older HD Homerun support into the current MrMC plugin. I worked with the Emby devs to get this working on their end. I see you are including libhdhomerun already so it might be fairly easy to do.

I use Emby to stream local channels to a Roku TV. I would like to use my Fire TV hooked up to another TV to be able to do the same thing. The Fire TV's lack of mpeg2 deinterlacer is not helping me though. But your ffmpeg / bob solution is at least tolerable.

Well I hope that answered your question :).

KeyserSoze

Post by KeyserSoze » 16 Mar 2017, 15:06

So after all that rambling I finally went and looked at the hdhomerun pvr code. It looks almost comically easy to add legacy support to it. I see one line of code that needs changed. Well that's assuming that a channel.url of "hdhomerun://" will work instead of the "http://" ones the new tuners use. You added support for that so it might just work?

Edit:
Ok on second look it's slightly more than 1 line. But it's still super easy. So if it returns a channel.url of "hdhomerun://" will that still work?

davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla » 16 Mar 2017, 15:59

There are two hdhomerun implementations in MrMC. 1) via HDHomerun pvr (newer devices), 2) core HDHomeRun (older devices).

For older devices, it works vis strm files that contain the channel -> device mappings. I used hdhr-mkchan.pl to create it. drop it on a server and browse to it.

As long as "hdhomerun://" contains the required device/tuner info. should work too.

KeyserSoze

Post by KeyserSoze » 16 Mar 2017, 16:28

Well let me take a hack at the pvr addon and see what I can do.

Ivan_Toniolli

Post by Ivan_Toniolli » 02 Jan 2019, 00:27

KeyserSoze wrote:Well let me take a hack at the pvr addon and see what I can do.
I'm a MrMC newbie here, I just saw your post about using MrMC with Emby. That would solve my problems with lack of avi playback, is that possible on a Fire TV for the purpose of movie playback?
Sorry for hijacking the thread but for some reason I could not send you a personal message.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Ivan_Toniolli

Post by Ivan_Toniolli » 02 Jan 2019, 12:07

Ivan_Toniolli wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:Well let me take a hack at the pvr addon and see what I can do.
I'm a MrMC newbie here, I just saw your post about using MrMC with Emby. That would solve my problems with lack of avi playback, is that possible on a Fire TV for the purpose of movie playback?
Sorry for hijacking the thread but for some reason I could not send you a personal message.

Installed MrMC and selected it as external player but it just opens up, no playback.
I configured it as well and it plays my Emby library directly fine, just no luck as external player.