1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

tvOS testing 3.0.0 (170207.1553)

Old TestFlight threads
davidvb

Re: tvOS testing 3.0.0 (170207.1553)

Post by davidvb » 12 Feb 2017, 20:40

I haven't experienced any issues except a very occasional freeze/big delay, when listing a target folder on my synology.. when that happens I force close mrmc to not sit around minutes like a chump. Next time I will though, to see if it's actually a freeze or not.

I do have one thing that always bothered me about kodi and mrmc: the fact that it seems to find it necessary to rescan every single folder, even if I just came from it 5 seconds ago...
Navigating through my media and "incoming" folders become a frustrating task because of this alone.

None of the other media players available on AppleTV seem to have this issue, even the really crappy ones, which is what surprises me most about this behaviour. I guess it's not that the other apps better cache stuff, but rather that kodi is doing more in the background than perhaps is really needed every time you navigate back up the folder tree..

Is it known what causes this behaviour and can it be improved or tweaked with some settings I overlooked? (I'm connecting using SMB as seems to be the fastest for me.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jabohn

Post by jabohn » 12 Feb 2017, 22:45

I've never had a problem or delay due to "scanning" when I go into each folder. Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean?

davidvb

Post by davidvb » 13 Feb 2017, 20:18

jabohn wrote:I've never had a problem or delay due to "scanning" when I go into each folder. Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean?
I meant that loading (larger) folders, including the top level directory that holds all my media, takes up to 10 seconds to access every single time, even if I only went into one sub folder with just 1 file, and then go back to root... it's a completely consistent delay that other apps don't seem to have.. so I was hoping it would've been solved in mrmc by now..

Is there some caching setting or combination of other settings that would affect this behavior?

jabohn

Post by jabohn » 13 Feb 2017, 21:15

Are you talking about browsing when you go to the Files section? I rarely even use that, only using the TV and Movies section so the info is all in the database and the only loading you wait for is the video you choose.

davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla » 13 Feb 2017, 21:16

davidvb wrote:
jabohn wrote:I've never had a problem or delay due to "scanning" when I go into each folder. Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean?
I meant that loading (larger) folders, including the top level directory that holds all my media, takes up to 10 seconds to access every single time, even if I only went into one sub folder with just 1 file, and then go back to root... it's a completely consistent delay that other apps don't seem to have.. so I was hoping it would've been solved in mrmc by now..

Is there some caching setting or combination of other settings that would affect this behavior?
Generally, when pulling content from servers, caching gets tricky as you don't know if the folder contents have changed or are static. There is no flag that says, "server content for this folder has changed". So you have two choices, a) assume static and deal with reloading somehow or b) assume dynamic and load from scratch each time. We choose b) There is some local caching of things like thumbnails.

Load time depend on the source of the video content, and how many items are there and how far away the server is located. For example, my local Plex content loads fast, remote Plex depends on the network gods and the bandwidth to that server.

Generally, I never see more than 4-8 seconds. If you are seeing longer times, I suspect a network issue. debuglog might show more detail.

jabohn

Post by jabohn » 13 Feb 2017, 21:18

I still occasionally find that MrMC has crashed when waking up the AppleTV. It's not bad like before when it was every time, but it seems to happen when the AppleTV has been asleep for a long time. I wake up the AppleTV, the screen is black, there's a slight delay and then it falls back to the main screen (it plays the "home" sound too).

davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla » 13 Feb 2017, 21:31

jabohn wrote:I still occasionally find that MrMC has crashed when waking up the AppleTV. It's not bad like before when it was every time, but it seems to happen when the AppleTV has been asleep for a long time. I wake up the AppleTV, the screen is black, there's a slight delay and then it falls back to the main screen (it plays the "home" sound too).
The AppleTV4 sleep is very strange. When it "sleeps" (screen is off or black), it might or might not be really sleeping. When it really sleeps (that is CPU being shutdown), it will kill off running apps. Yep, kill as in like a force quit. Sometimes we might get a 'terminate' notice, sometimes not. It's really unpredictable.

davidvb

Post by davidvb » 13 Feb 2017, 22:04

davilla wrote:
davidvb wrote:
Generally, I never see more than 4-8 seconds. If you are seeing longer times, I suspect a network issue. debuglog might show more detail.
Cheers! Debuglog is now on. Will check the readout tomorrow.

Btw, kudos to you for getting Plex to run well! Lol! Since I started experimenting with it in 2004 I've never ever seen Plex run in a consistent matter, or producing great video quality.. I've been on 4 entirely different network configurations through the years but not much difference..

I'm now using a Portal Router featuring a 7band fastlane and running on unused channels, giving me a consistent 150Mb/s over wifi, which showed to be more reliable than my wired setup (now idling as an emergency fallback.) So the connection isn't a problem factor I believe (16Gb movie files now start instantly, which was previously problematic.)

How does NSF compare to SMB. Is one generally better than the other in your experience?

davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla » 13 Feb 2017, 22:23

NFS is faster (more efficient) that SMB. Doing some working for v3+ now regarding network bandwidth. My test content are those damn jellyfish :) jellyfish-250-mbps-4k-uhd-h264.mkv is the fun one :)

cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl » 14 Feb 2017, 14:11

looks like at some point starting movies with parts from plex library stopped working properly. logs here. http://pastebin.com/AcLcNAyq

I can start the movie by long holding the click and selecting "play from here". but a single click, or clicking play from movie information does NOT start the movie.
Last edited by cosmoxl on 14 Feb 2017, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.