1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Hello from Devon and question about Apple TV

Introduce yourself here
quartermain

Hello from Devon and question about Apple TV

Post by quartermain » 24 Feb 2019, 15:35

Hi

I bought an Apple TV 4K and recently added MrMC.

I have heard suggestions that the ATV4K is unable to play exact 24p, i.e. 24.000 fps, and instead will display such content at 23.976 fps. This results in a frame skip every 41 seconds or so to keep audio and video in sync. I first heard about this in the context of iTunes downloads so I wasn't too bothered since I don't have a presence in the Apple universe.

However I heard a couple of days ago that most if not all Netflix movies are encoded in 24.000 fps so will display this problem. This is much more of an issue for me.

So I did some tests - I have some frame rate test videos which display the same content encoded in 8 different frame rates. These are easy to find - they are white bars moving horizontally over a black background.

I played them on MrMC with the codec info overlay turned on, so could see the frame drop/skip counters. The 24.000 fps version generated a skip every 41 seconds, and it was visible too. The rest were OK except the 60.000 fps which generated skips seemingly randomly.

I am wondering if this is a hardware limitation of the ATV and can never be fixed, or a firmware issue that Apple may fix at some time (though if so why they haven't already fixed it is a mystery). I am within the return window so if the issue can never be fixed then I can choose to return it.

Many thanks
Max

davilla
Team MrMC

Re: Hello from Devon and question about Apple TV

Post by davilla » 24 Feb 2019, 15:50

quartermain wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 15:35
Hi

I bought an Apple TV 4K and recently added MrMC.

I have heard suggestions that the ATV4K is unable to play exact 24p, i.e. 24.000 fps, and instead will display such content at 23.976 fps. This results in a frame skip every 41 seconds or so to keep audio and video in sync. I first heard about this in the context of iTunes downloads so I wasn't too bothered since I don't have a presence in the Apple universe.

However I heard a couple of days ago that most if not all Netflix movies are encoded in 24.000 fps so will display this problem. This is much more of an issue for me.

So I did some tests - I have some frame rate test videos which display the same content encoded in 8 different frame rates. These are easy to find - they are white bars moving horizontally over a black background.

I played them on MrMC with the codec info overlay turned on, so could see the frame drop/skip counters. The 24.000 fps version generated a skip every 41 seconds, and it was visible too. The rest were OK except the 60.000 fps which generated skips seemingly randomly.

I am wondering if this is a hardware limitation of the ATV and can never be fixed, or a firmware issue that Apple may fix at some time (though if so why they haven't already fixed it is a mystery). I am within the return window so if the issue can never be fixed then I can choose to return it.

Many thanks
Max
That a question only Apple can answer. The hardware would have no issue handling either rates. I suspect the issue is how fps is reported. 23.976 fps rounds to 24 as an int. So how to tell 23.976 fps vs 24.000 fps when thinking int vars.

The actual switch method uses float but I've seen framerate as int in other Apple methods. Thus the problem. 24/1.000 vs 24/1.001.

Same issue with 29.97 vs 30.00. or 59.94 vs 60.00.