1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Plex client vs addon

Support for the native Plex Client on any platform
steve1977

Plex client vs addon

Post by steve1977 » 31 Mar 2018, 07:09

I am using both Plex client and also the new Plex addon for MrMC. Great to see the support.

I am trying to understand the pros and cons. Somehow, I'd like to have the best of both worlds. Let me share the respective issues I am facing with both:

Plex addon
1A) Overall quite nice, but I'd prefer not to have the Plex logo and also don't like that my username is shown in the main menu (both Plex logo and username are on top right and I haven't found a way to remove this from the main screen)
1B) Also, it takes two clicks to launch a movie from the movie list. And fanart is not (?) used
1C) The home screen is overloaded "continue watching" and there is no customization of main menu (e.g., remove "continue watching" or have it lower; first row should be "recently added", remove "on deck")
1D) Going from Plex back to ATV requires to leave Plex addon and then leave MrMC. So, it pretty much feels like an app within an app (which is probably what it really is)
1E) Some stability issues, but I'd assume they may get ironed out, I'll report them separately

Plex client
2A) Overall, I still like the client more, but it is - unfortunately - by far not as snappy as the addon. Selecting the movie library still takes quite some time for the movie library to show up (while pretty much instant when using the Plex addon)
2B) The posters in Opacity are still quite small (like a book with stamps), while the posters in the addon are very nice and clean
2C) I have two Plex movie libraries (2D and 3D). In MrMC, they are both part of "movies" in main menu, but then it takes two clicks to get to the movie library. That's even the case when selecting "recently added"

Some of above may be feature requests? Some of above may just not be fixable? Particularly, any chance to solve 2A and 2C?

davilla
Team MrMC

Re: Plex client vs addon

Post by davilla » 31 Mar 2018, 12:45

1A, 1B, 1C are as designed by Plex devs.

1D, see plex addon settings, advances. see setting at bottom. Un check and back will exit to tvOS instead of MrMC.

2A, Plex Client is due a refactor to match the 1st level caching that Emby client does.
2B, As designed for Opacity, number of items shown vs size. Larger items means showing less.
2C, As designed to support a large number of Plex servers. How would you design it ?

Everbrave

Post by Everbrave » 31 Mar 2018, 13:41

davilla wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 12:45
1A, 1B, 1C are as designed by Plex devs.

1D, see plex addon settings, advances. see setting at bottom. Un check and back will exit to tvOS instead of MrMC.

2A, Plex Client is due a refactor to match the 1st level caching that Emby client does.
2B, As designed for Opacity, number of items shown vs size. Larger items means showing less.
2C, As designed to support a large number of Plex servers. How would you design it ?
2B (icon size): there is room for enlarging them without reducing the number; they could even almost touch and the one selected zooms in.
2C (many PMS) I would put all in one media DB. A video would appear only once in MrMC and when selecting one to play, it shows you a selection of PMS to play it from. This, bottom-up approach, is implemented in Squire and I found it very pleasant to use.

timstephens24

Post by timstephens24 » 31 Mar 2018, 14:14

davilla wrote:
There's sooooo much blank space in opacity.

Everbrave

Post by Everbrave » 31 Mar 2018, 15:54

timstephens24 wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 14:14
davilla wrote:
There's sooooo much blank space in opacity.
most of the universe is black matter ;)

steve1977

Post by steve1977 » 01 Apr 2018, 01:15

Thanks a lot for your replies. Reads like the Plex client is the right choice for me:

2A - any idea whether there is anything that can still be done to speed this up a bit? It is very fast if I pull up "recently added movies', but taking a bit too long for comfort (10s) when pulling the full movie list as I have a large library. Is this an ATV issue and will future generations of ATV be faster doing this task?

2B - as others say, there is a lot empty space that can be used to show larger posters. While I don't like how the Plex addon handles 1A-1D above, the size of the posters is phenomenal. Opacity could also have a second row with more rcently added movies. Also, the font looks very nice!

2C - I would show all of them on the home screen. You suggest in a related thread that this can be done via custom shortcuts, which may be implemented in Opacity in the future. This could address it, but isn't ideal as it would require a lot of customization to design the widgets and sub-menu items on homescreen. I would also not merge the libraries on homescreen as there is a reason why people keep the libraries separate on home screen. I just want to avoid the extra-window between homescreen and movie list. So, ideally MrMC would itself create home menu items with the respective movie libraries. When starting MrMC, "movies" doesn't show up on homescreen for a few seconds as it is waiting for info from PMS. Maybe, MrMC could pull on lower level and add this on homescreen. I.e., "Plex(0)-Tower-Movies" could be used to create a start menu "Movies" and "Plex(0)-Tower-Movies (3D)" could be used to create a start menu "Movies (3D)". This is pretty much how the Plex addon handles it. You will see two main menu items in the addon (in my case "Movies" and "Movies (3D)". Movies shows recently added movies only and when switching to Movies (3D) on homescreen, it shows recently added movies from my 3D library only. The implementation in the addon is basically what I'd like to see in the client.

And another point - I realized that there appears to be some bug when using the "wall view" in the Plex client. Some posters don't show up. When hovering over them, they immediately show. And when I hover over the next movie, the "issue-poster" will disappear again. So, I have some black posters in the wallview (which only show when they are selected). Not sure I am describing this bug well?

davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla » 01 Apr 2018, 02:05

steve1977 wrote:
01 Apr 2018, 01:15
2A - any idea whether there is anything that can still be done to speed this up a bit? It is very fast if I pull up "recently added movies', but taking a bit too long for comfort (10s) when pulling the full movie list as I have a large library. Is this an ATV issue and will future generations of ATV be faster doing this task?
On the list :) that's all I can say. Focus engine and python took priority.
steve1977 wrote:
2B - as others say, there is a lot empty space that can be used to show larger posters. While I don't like how the Plex addon handles 1A-1D above, the size of the posters is phenomenal. Opacity could also have a second row with more rcently added movies. Also, the font looks very nice!
see testflght, that's where the action happens.

steve1977 wrote:
And another point - I realized that there appears to be some bug when using the "wall view" in the Plex client. Some posters don't show up. When hovering over them, they immediately show. And when I hover over the next movie, the "issue-poster" will disappear again. So, I have some black posters in the wallview (which only show when they are selected). Not sure I am describing this bug well?
Humm, thought we caught that one.

timstephens24

Post by timstephens24 » 01 Apr 2018, 12:16

davilla wrote:
01 Apr 2018, 02:05
steve1977 wrote:
I'm seeing this at my dad's house too (I'm guesssing I don't see it at home because everything's cached). I see the blank spot, and when I move over it the poster shows up. If I scroll down out of the screen where the missing poster is then back up the poster will show properly.

steve1977

Post by steve1977 » 01 Apr 2018, 13:14

Great to see some further improvements on Opacity and also library loading time are planned. Very much looking forward to. I like the combo of MrMC as Plex Client! Well done!

Let me describe the poster issue a bit more: I don't see the issue in "wide list view". It is not about slow loading time. In "wide list view", the poster shows up immediately. It is as fast as cached (not sure it is).

The issue surfaces in the "wall view" (Opacity as Plex client). The full "wall" of posters show, but there are black posters that make it like a wall with "holes". When I move over the black poster, it shows up though (immediately, no loading). When I then scroll away from this poster, it immediately turns black again.

Not sure whether this helps with trouble shooting, but this issue does not appear with the Plex addon.

steve1977

Post by steve1977 » 12 May 2018, 01:49

davilla wrote:
steve1977 wrote:
On the list :) that's all I can say. Focus engine and python took priority.
Any update? It is amazing to see how fast the Plex addon pulls up my full library. I very much prefer the Plex client in MrMC though, so was hoping for some potential speed improvements?
davilla wrote:
steve1977 wrote:
see testflght, that's where the action happens.
I really like the new larger photos. As indicated in the skin thread, the "wall view" cuts off movie names for the lower level of posters. There are four rows for movie title. If you remove the space to two rows, there will be sufficient space for two rows of posters without reducing poster size.
davilla wrote:
steve1977 wrote:
It still appears to be there. Maybe I need to clean the cache or kill the local library. I know how to do so for mysql database, but not for Plex client (MrMC). Same procedure?

Lastly, any chance to consider 2C? That's actually my biggest concern and would be so great to see a different implementation in the main menu of Plex libraries.